7 Traits of Successful Female Leaders
I’m certain we’ve all met confident women throughout our lives. These women command a room and they leave you wanting to know more about them. They usually leave a good impression and they inspire positive action within their circles of influence.But what makes these women special? What makes them stand out from the crowd? I’ve been researching these women for years. From Oprah Winfrey to Coco Chanel to Indira Ghandi and Melinda Gates, these women have strength and that certain indefinable ‘something’ that creates loyalty and makes you want to follow their lead.
So, what are those characteristics or traits that make those leaders stand out? Can we isolate them to emulate them? I think we can.
Here are the seven traits I have been able to identify that strong female leaders possess:
1. She uses her power for good. All great leaders are humane and helpful. Their life work makes a difference to other individuals. They seek opportunities to make the world around them better, making a difference to other individuals. Whether they do so by mentoring another woman in their team and helping them achieve their own goals, or fighting for human rights, they are selfless and share their talent with others. Their purpose in being humble and helpful is always marked by giving others, including themselves, a sense of hope and inspiration.
2. She seeks and receives support. No one can do it alone. There is strength in being vulnerable, in being human. Leaders who are conscious and interested in continuous personal and professional growth, and who courageously ask for and openly receive support are stronger.
3. She never gives up. Despite failures and losses, strong female leaders focus on staying positive. A leader who knows what she wants is always determined and does not let temporary difficulties hinder her from achieving her goals or fulfilling her mission and purpose. She believes in herself. Through trials and difficulties, she develops the greatest gifts she has to offer for making an impact on the lives of others.
4. She is confident. Confidence is a belief in your ability to succeed; a belief that you do something well. People love confident leaders because they give us a feeling of trust, and everyone wants to follow a leader who they can trust. You either have confidence, or you will have to develop confidence within yourself to become truly successful.
5. She is optimistic. Most people cannot follow a pessimistic leader. Why would we? Strong, successful female leaders articulate a vision and boldly move towards that vision with positive energy. Optimism is the ability to go forward with hope and confidence. Successful outcomes begin with optimism.
6. She is authentic. Successful female leaders do not copy others. Rather, they create extraordinary results through authenticity, a personal style and a forged consistency to showcasing their unique talents. These leaders tend to learn from others around them, yet manage to remain true to themselves, their values, and how they want to be seen in the world, and by other people.
7. She has a strong and powerful voice. Female leaders have a willingness to speak their truth and be heard, even if the message may not neatly align with the status quo or be of popular opinion. They are careful with their words, but know that their own voice is, ultimately, their most powerful tool to create change.
Successful, strategic female leaders are sure of themselves. They may not have always been that way. The road was likely long and difficult to get to where they are now. However, with time, patience, and owning their own stories, they have emerged to help create change in the world. It took mindfulness and practice and so if they could do it, so can we.
Motivate. Inspire. Persuade. Communicate. There is power in bringing your message to life visually. At Artitudes, we specialize in adding that power to your message. Artitudes Design Inc. is a full-service graphic design firm based in the Seattle area.