- Your appreciation for the meeting (the “thank you” part!)
- Something specific about the interview or items discussed
- Why you are excited about this opportunity
- A brief explanation of why you’d be a good fit for the job
- Next steps and your contact information
Make sure to send the note (via email) within 24 hours — and be sure to send one to everyone you interviewed with, not just the hiring manager.
Still not sure what to write? Here’s an example:
Dear [interviewer name],
Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me about the [job title] position. I really enjoyed learning more about the position and your description of the day-to-day duties really helped me gain a better understanding of the responsibilities. Our conversation confirmed my extreme interest and I would be thrilled to bring my editorial experience, specifically my interview expertise, to benefit the company goals.
I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for the opportunity to interview. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have additional questions!
Something thoughtful and concise like that will usually do the trick — although we’ve got some other great thank you note templates right here. Now eliminate unnecessary distractions and get to writing!